Quota ♥

There are things we don't want it to happen but have to accept, things we don't want to know but have to learn and people we can't live without but have to let go.

To speak or not to speak?

I know I haven't been blogging, or neither am I near the social medias during the day, but when I do blog, it's about something. (Well everyone blog because there is something to blog about!)


Here's something which just happened to me, and a few of my friends. By just, I mean it just happened like a few hours ago. Hence, here I am just typing away once again, making this a topic to ponder about.


"What are words to you?"


Tell me, what are words to you? What exactly are they? Can they be eaten? Touched? Well they are neither. Words are these that I am typing out right now, formed by letters, making sense with every syllabus you pronounce. Words to everyone are a daily form of communication. 

What we all fail to realized is words can mean so much more, with every sentence made, every word being said or being typed out, they carry weight. No one would believe it but I was one of those who has been verbally abused by words others said to me. Not only by those name-calling, but also the way words were used to put me down, bring my ego down, to a point where I faced depression. Who knew right? 

What we failed to realized is we misused the words we speak to others. We do not know what kind of words will greatly affect the other person, and sometimes, indirectly, we are the cause of their pain. Some people also fail to realized that this issue is not to be taken lightly. You can say things like: "you don't understand why I can be like this, can be like that, but why can't I accept him/her talking to me?" It hurts, deep to the core when it matters so much, but who am I to judge? I don't know you, yet I tried to understand why such posting.

And some people also fail to realized that sometimes we can't just laugh it off. Calling someone stupid, fat, might sound ridiculous, but to another, it may not. Even if you are the best of friends, it does not give you the right to call someone dumbass and laugh it off. You can say things like, 

"Oh, it's just rubbish. It's not true." 
"Take it lightly." 
"Don't put to your heart such words he/she said." 
"Maybe he/she PMS, forgive him/her."
"I'm sure he didn't mean it."
 
But how many times can you keep doing that? How many times can you keep telling him/her that it's ok, he/she didn't meant what he/she said. You can laugh away when someone calls you stupid, fat, brainless, dumb, bimbo etc. Your friends might even laugh at the words he/she called you. But what you cannot laugh away are the effects of what those words has already done to you. It may seem little, but you never know what those words can do to a person's mentality. Sometimes you did nothing but just said some things about your life, or in another case, you said nothing at all. But what you got was words bashing about how and what you should do about your life, or maybe, being called a dumb bimbo for nothing.

It doesn't matter whether you have close friends, or not, one does not deserve to go through verbal abuse. Nobody deserves to be verbally abuse. Words can affect a person mentally. What we don't know is how much. A strong person might be able to withstand verbal abuse, but what if you are not strong? How would you respond to such act of rudeness?

Some people would say why can't you stand up on your own, show them that you will not tolerate their verbal insults and sarcasm? These are the people who do not fully understand what is it like to be verbally abuse. These are not physical impacts that you can see with you eyes. These are something that only the person who experienced it before knows how it feel like to be unable to stand up against the attackers. You stand up against them, they shoot you back down even faster. The only thing is to not waste your time trying to fight back against these people. 

Some people would even question, aren't there friends to help stand up for you? These are the people who would stand by and watch you get hurt, yet unable to lend a helping hand, for they do not know who the attacker was. What happened today was downright rude. Talking about a friend can lead to another name being pulled into the conversation and being bad-mouthed at as well. In all honesty, today was the first time a few friends actually stood up for me, and I was truly touched and grateful for I know what kind of friends I have to stand by me. (Thank you! ^^) 

Verbal abuse is not to be taken lightly. How many videos have I seen over the years about how it hurt so much that sometimes it drives them to death? How many postings about much those remarks hurt and it hurt til cutting seems to relieve them of their pain? I know these all too well, and in fact, today, I am standing up here, through my blog, to send a message to everyone out there.

You can say things about me, you can post stuff about me, but those who really knows me, knows that I am more than what those words are being said about me.
You can poke and twist me, turn my own words against me, but what you don't know is I can take in those words to be my source of encouragement.

I want to let other people like me, who went through, or is going through these sort of abuse, don't be afraid, for you are not alone. But how many can be like me? I might be late, a few years late, a century late for this posting but I hope it makes more people realize that words are important and it has an impact on everyone, big or small, young or old. 


It doesn't matter what form the words come from,
Say no to Verbal Abuse.




Words can bring you down, and sometimes words can bring you up as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment