Quota ♥

There are things we don't want it to happen but have to accept, things we don't want to know but have to learn and people we can't live without but have to let go.

Egg Drop Project.

It's a whole new year and a new semester has begun. Practically everything is the same. Except for the slight difference which is what I am studying right now. Many of you know that I am currently studying Quantity Surveying. Yes. I have already completed one year of the 4-year course. Yet I have already submitted my application for course transfer to Architecture course. :D

UTAR has finally have their Architecture course up and running. So screw it on what I am which course I am studying right now as I am attending both QS and Archi classes for now. It's a very complicated and confusing situation. So for the last one week, I attended Architecture classes and we had this Egg Drop project, which my title says it all.

We students are required to wrap it, protect it, and not to break our egg. Only natural materials can be used so no plastic, styrofoam and man-made materials. So all of us had to crack our head to think, think and think how are we going to design to protect our egg. Check out my process in protecting my precious egg.



My egg wrapping experience.


Cut the egg carton up into small cups.


Went to Uni the next day for my cardboard that I left in class.


Wrapped my egg up with the little cups from the egg carton together with PVA glue as well as cotton gauze stuffed inside.
The rubber band is to hold everything together while the waiting for the glue to dry up.


My friend Hon Sern came to help and taught me to wrap my egg up by some "mache" method. Went home and touched up his work.
Thanks Hon Sern! :) So I end up having some weird looking shape now.


I thought of making it round, which I think will not work,
but I still proceed with the idea as I was running our of time.
So I took those cardboard I brought back home,
cut them out into my desired shapes and wrapped them around the egg.


The end product?
I used A4 papers to wrapped everything up.
It looks like some kind of white ball yet it has some hexagon shape as well.
Compared it with another egg to show its size.

__________________________________________


Now it's D-Day!



Pizza was served for us to enjoy before the egg dropping moment.
A very big thank you to our lecturer, Ar. Liaw for buying the pizzas for us. :)


Show casing our work.
11 of us. 11 eggs.
11 different designs and ways to protect that egg.


Getting ready to drop our eggs down to the concrete ground below.
Straight from the third floor!
Who's crazy idea was it!? I want to know.


After that, one by one we checked our eggs to see whether is there leakage.
And one by one the word "gone" came out of our mouths.
Means our eggs all gone.
Break.
Some don't even have to open their models to check their egg
as it's so obvious the egg is dripping.
Drip, drip..

Jia Lin was the only one with her egg still nicely intact.
So it's clear she's the winner. :)


The top 3 designs which won.
The other two was decided by a voting session on the design.


The top 3 winners for this project together with our lecturer, Ar. Liaw. :)
Together in their hands are the book prizes they won. :)


All in all, it was a fun project. at least now I can say I have done this project before. :) Though I find myself getting caught up in confusing and complicated situation very often recently. Why? I wonder.



____________________________________________________


Drawing is my passion, calculating is my skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment